DECEMBER - LOCAL BUSINESS MONTH!
The Town of Langenburg announced December as "Local Business Month", to highlight the importance of local businesses in our community and encourage everyone to choose local why shopping during the holiday season! Every December the Langenburg Economic Development Office releases the calendar with participating businesses and their specials. The community is encouraged to visit those businesses during their "calendar day" and:
- show their gratitude;
- help boost businesses sales by purchasing goods and services;
- leave reviews on businesses' Facebook and Google pages.
Shop Local month reminds us that choosing to support local can make a huge difference to our local economy and keep stores and services open!
2021 LANGENBURG HOLIDAY CALENDAR (FOR PRINTING)
2020 LANGENBURG HOLIDAY CALENDAR (FOR PRINTING)
Why eat, shop, and hire locally?
- Saves you time and money on trips. Instead of driving to the city, you have more time to spend with your loved ones.
- Your local shops and services can offer choices and options that you can’t get anywhere else.
- Unique hand-crafted items and fresher food are among the advantages.
- Being a "local” at a nearby shop or restaurant can be a great feeling. Having a shop or service owner who knows what you want, and is willing to order the things they don’t have just for you, is a whole new level of convenience. Also, you’re getting to know neighbours, newcomers and helping to build community spirit.
- Beyond feel-good community building, shopping locally has definite economic benefits. Studies suggest that each $100 spent at local independent stores, in turn, generates $45 of secondary local spending.
- Strong local shopping areas have a positive impact on local property values.
- Locally owned businesses create more jobs locally and can provide better wages.
- Community-based stores help to sustain a vibrant and charming town center which will attract tourists and other visitors.
- Local businesses generously contribute to local causes: sports, events, projects, and charities (250% more than big corporations!).
- A brisk walk through your neighborhood makes a nice dent in Health Canada’s recommended 150 minutes of exercise per week!
Economic Development Officer