Like the rest of the Canadian prairies, Langenburg became the new home for many European and American Settler. They were lured by the abundance of cheap land and the promise of prosperity and freedom. The Langenburg district, which at the time was considered in the district of Assiniboia in the North-West Territories, was first surveyed by the federal government in 1880.
In the early 1880's British settlers settled in the Wolverine district northeast of Marchwell.
William Syme Redpath, an English Lawyer was probably the first white settler in this municipality. Settlers following him in the early eighties were predominantly British, followed up in the late eighties by Central Europeans of German origin and also an influx of Russians. The early 1900's saw quite a number of Norwegian and Swedish settlers come into the district. Around 1912 came a group of Belgian immigrants who settled to the south west of town.
Records show that in 1883 Prince Hohenlohe -Langenburg, a German nobleman, visited western Canada, and had recommended this area for a German settlement. In the winter of 1886-87, the Manitoba and North - Western Railway reached the "Colony Hohenlohe" and the station was named "Langenburg", after Langenburg, Germany where the Prince was from. W. Riedle, the immigration agent, made more than one trip to Germany to encourage settlers to come here. The first of the German Immigrants to settle in the Langenburg was the David Berger Family in 1886. In 1887 there were 29 settlers in the colony.
On March 27, 1903 Langenburg was incorporated as a village and James Nixon was elected overseer by acclamation.
On September 15, 1959 Langenburg was incorporated as a town. It had population of 640. Since it became a town, these men have served as mayor: Kasmir Scherloski (1959-64, 1966-78), John Schappert (1964-66), Paul Hovrisko (1978-82), Don Wyand (1982-91), Dave Schappert (1991 - 2012) and Don Fogg (2012 to the present time).
The full the Town of Langenburg history is recorded in "Our Heritage" history book published in 1997. If you interested in having one, please contact Town Office.
Don't forget to visit Langenburg Homestead Museum!